If you are:
Parent or guardian
- 16 years old or older - you must sign your application. If you are unable to sign your application, refer to Protected persons.
- 13 to 15 years old - you or your parent or guardian can sign your application.
- 12 years old or under - your parent or guardian must sign the application on your behalf.
If you are a parent or guardian signing on behalf of a TFN Recipient that is under 16 years old
, you will need to provide:
- two proof of identity documents for the TFN Recipient
- three proof of identity documents for yourself OR your own TFN
- a proof of eligibility document
If you are a parent or guardian signing on behalf of a TFN Recipient that is:
PROOF OF IDENTITY DOCUMENTS
When you attend your interview, you must provide current documents that prove your identity for registration purposes (proof of identity documents).
We will accept only unaltered original
documents and not photocopies. Documents that have been corrected or changed and initialled are not acceptable.
If you do not provide sufficient proof of identity documents at interview, your application summary will be returned to you and your application will remain incomplete.
ACCEPTABLE PROOF OF IDENTITY DOCUMENTS
If you are aged 16 years old or over
You need to provide three documents, one of which must be a primary document.
If you are under 16 years old
You need to provide two documents, one of which must be a primary document.
- Australian full birth certificate
- Australian passport
- Australian citizenship certificate or Extract from Register of Citizenship by Descent
- Overseas passport
If you are under 16
- Medicare card
- Account statement from an Australian bank, credit union or building society less than one year old, or an ATM card. Your name and address on the account statement should match the details you provide on your online form (statements printed off the internet and credit card statements are not acceptable)
- Australian firearm licence with your signature and/or photo matching the details you provide on your online form
- Student identification card (tertiary or secondary) with your photo issued from an Australian government accredited education authority
- One of the following cards with your photo and signature. Any address on the card must match the details provided on the online form:
- Australian driver's licence
- Australian learner's permit
- state or territory government issued proof of age card
- state or territory government issued photo card.
, secondary documents can include one of the following which must be less than one year old and issued by an Australian government accredited education authority.
PROOF OF ELIGIBILITY DOCUMENTS
- Secondary school examination certificate
- Record of achievement
- Examination report.
If you are applying on behalf of the TFN Recipient, you must provide a current document that proves your authority to act on their behalf (proof of eligibility document). The proof of eligibility document should include both the TFN Recipient's name as well as your name. Acceptable proof of eligibility documents are:
- Australian birth certificate
- Medicare card
- Foreign birth certificate
- Letter of Attorney*
- Power of Attorney*
- Proof of parentage/ guardianship documents*
* If the applicant is over 18 years old and unable to sign their application, the parent or guardian signing the application on their behalf needs to provide one of these as their proof of eligibility document.
If your proof of identity documents are in a previous name, you will also need to provide one of the following documents:
DOCUMENTS IN LANGUAGES OTHER THAN ENGLISH
- Change of name by Deed Poll
- Change of name document
- Australian marriage certificate
- Foreign marriage certificate
If your original document is not written in English, you must provide a written translation that an authorised translation service has certified as a true and correct copy. Authorised translation services include:
- an appropriate embassy
- a professional translation service accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI).
You must show the staff original documents, not photocopies. The documents must not be altered in any way. A document that has been corrected or changed and initialled is not acceptable.
If you are unable to provide all the required proof of identity and/or proof of eligibility documents, phone the ATO on 13 28 61
between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.